Mocha Crunch Smoothie (Vegan, Paleo, Whole30)
This smoothie combines the best of breakfast: something delicious to wake up to AND coffee. The bitter, aromatic qualities of coffee are balanced perfectly with the sweetness of chocolate. Along with being delicious, this smoothie recipe is based off of Kelly LeVeques Fab Four recipe, and contains protein, fat, fiber, and greens to create a balanced, satiating meal. Print Recipe
Add 1.5 cups of your unsweetened liquid of choice to the blender.
Add remaining ingredients to blender, except for cacao nibs. Blend for around 20 seconds.
At 1 tbsp of cacao nibs and blend for another 10 seconds, or until desired consistency.
- Unsweetened, Dairy-free Nut Milk - When purchasing nut milk, I look for minimal ingredients. Watch out for added sugars, processed fillers, and industrial seed oils.
- Chocolate Protein Powder
- Plant-based or Vegan friends: Truvani makes a clean protein with only 6 ingredients (it's organic too).
- TIP: If you don’t have as much of a sweet tooth (like me), feel free to use half chocolate protein and half unflavored.
- Almond Butter - Similar to nut milks, I search for minimal ingredients when buying nut butters. I avoid added sugars, industrial seed oils, and fillers as much as possible.
- Flaxseed Meal - Flaxseeds are my choice in smoothies compared to chia seeds. If you’re looking for a thicker, more gelatinous texture, chia seeds would be a good choice!
- Frozen Cauliflower Rice - With frozen cauliflower rice, there is a chance you might also have lumps, so check as your blending to ensure you’ve gotten all the pieces as you go. If you're using whole cauliflower florets, give them a quick chop into smaller pieces to prevent lumps. If not cauliflower rice, feel free to add any greens you veggies at hand, like kale, zucchini, or spinach.
- Instant Coffee - Feel free to adjust to taste. Note that with more instant coffee powder, the more it will blunt the flavor of the protein powder. I recommend starting with 1/2 tsp and going from there.
- Cacao Nibs - Add up to 1 tbsp. I like adding cacao nibs toward the end of my blend, so I get more of a crunchy texture in my smoothie.
Calories: 540kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 316mg | Potassium: 753mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 844mg | Iron: 4mg