Beets, also known as beetroots, are a nutrient-packed root vegetable. They contain essential vitamins and are a great source of folate (vitamin B9), manganese, potassium and other nutrients.
This recipe is simple and great to make ahead of time. I love having this dish at hand, adding it to salads, or enjoying as a side dish with my meals to boost my vegetable intake.
Roasted Beets with Lemon Parsley Marinade (Vegan, Paleo, Whole30)
- 2 lb. beets
- ¼ lemon
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- handful parsley chopped
- splash champagne vinegar or any ligt vineagar
- ¼ tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
Roasting the Beets
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Wrap beetroot in aluminum foil, covering completely. (Foil alternative: rub with oil and place in an oven safe container with a lid (like a Dutch oven) to recreate the steaming effect.
- Bake for 50-75 min, until beets can easily be pierced with a knife. For smaller beets, check at 30 minutes.
Peeling the Beets
- Once beets are cool to touch, peel the beets by holding a beet in one hand and using your other hand's thumb to rub the skin off. The skin should rub off easily if beets are fully cooked. You can also do this in a bowl of water or under runnnig water to cool down the beets. This will also help the removal of the skin.
- Dice beets into cubes and set aside in a medium bowl.
- Add 2-3 tbsp olive oil, ¼ lemon juice, splash of champagne vinegar, ¼ tsp salt, pinch of pepper, and chopped parsley to the bowl. Toss to combine. Let cool and marinade in fridge for at least 30 minutes.