Tender, Flaky Biscuits (Made with Coconut Yogurt)
Tender, flaky, delicious! These biscuits are made without buttermilk and instead coconut yogurt. Perfect for those looking for a more dairy-free friendly recipe.
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cake or pastry flour optional, add same amount of all-purpose flour instead
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (or vegan butter), cold cubed.
- 1 cup coconut yogurt or more as needed. (My preferred brand is Cocojune!)
- 2 tbsp melted butter for brushing
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ cinnamon
- Cut the butter into small cubes. Place back into the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix until well combined.
- Remove your butter from the refrigerator and either cut it into your flour mixture using a pastry cutter (preferred) or use your hands. If you use your hands, make sure to not over work the butter or you may make it soft. If this happens, refrigerate the flour/butter mixture until the butter solidifies again.
- Once the mixture is in pea-sized pieces, add the coconut yogurt, half cup at a time. The dough should look a bit shaggy, but shouldn’t be wet or dry and powdery. If you need to add more coconut yogurt, add it sparingly, drop by drop (otherwise you’ll end up with soft dough).
- Press the dough into a ball. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Lightly flour the surface and roll the dough out to 1/4-inch rectangle. Fold the dough into thirds, like a letter. Flip the dough. Roll it out and repeat three more times.
- On the fourth (and final time), roll out only to a 1/2-inch, so the biscuit isn’t too short.
- Use a biscuit cutter (cup or jar works fine too) to cut out the dough into circles.
- Gently press together scraps and use them to make more biscuits. (Be careful not to over work these scraps or they will be tough.)
- Place the biscuits on the sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Make sure they have enough space to slightly expand in the oven.
- Add melted butter, honey, and cinnamon into a bowl. Brush mixture on top of each biscuit. Finish with salt.
- Bake at 400°F for about 16-20 minutes or until they are golden brown on top. Flip halfway for a more even bake.